Harold L. Frederick, Jr., Memorial Garden
19 January 2013
On the Saturday of the Martin Luther King, Jr., holiday weekend, 19 January 2013, crew members and officers of Ship 461, along with the Scouts and leaders from our sister Troop 461, took advantage of the unusually nice weather and spent several hours weeding and winterizing the Harold L. Frederick, Jr., Memorial Vegetable Garden on the grounds of Zion Mennonite Church. The Scouts weeded the garden before roto-tilling the soil. Once the garden was weeded and tilled, the Scouts placed approximately four (4) cubic yards of aged fertilizer on the garden as a cover for the remainder of the winter. It is hoped that the cover of fertilizer will assist in keeping the weed growth down until the spring planting.
The Frederick Memorial Garden is located on the Front Street side of the red barn on the Zion Mennonite Church property at the corner of East Cherry Lane and Front Streets in Souderton Borough. The garden is used to grow fresh vegetables for Zion's "Table of Plenty" food kitchen and pantry and is maintained by the Scouts of Boy Scout Troop 461 and the Sea Scouts of Ship 461.
The Frederick Memorial Garden was the Eagle Scout Service Project of one of Troop 461's Eagle Scouts and is named in honor of the troop's long-time Scoutmaster, Harold L. Frederick, Jr., who died in January 2010 at the age of 79 years. Harold Frederick was Troop 461's Scoutmaster from 1956 until September 2007. He remained the Troop's treasurer and Scoutmaster Emeritus from September 2007 until his death. Harold was a life-long member of Zion Mennonite Church and an active supporter of Zion Mennonite's "Table of Plenty" food kitchen and pantry, regularly sharing the bounty of his home garden and fruit trees with the Table of Plenty.
This page last updated on Thursday, 31 January 2013.